Yes, we're expecting! But what are we expecting?
Is it A: A goldendoodle puppy?

Is it B: A baby boy?

Or is it C: Both?
The correct answer is C!
Can you believe it? Even I think we're nuts (just don't call us that to our faces, please!) In complete honesty, we weren't planning on getting a puppy and baby so close together (the puppy comes in July and the baby three months later in October). We signed a contract to purchase a puppy last August in hopes of getting it by January, but the dam didn't come into heat until last month, therefore putting us in this situation. I guess it's a mixed blessing because I can't imagine having to clean up a puppy's messes with the morning sickness I experienced. I don't know that it will be much better at nine months pregnant, but hopefully we can get a little training in before the baby's born.
We're all pretty excited the baby's a boy, and I'm especially glad Jarrett gets a brother. When I told him he was getting a baby brother he excitedly exclaimed "Yay!" Of course I wanted to make sure that he really understood what that means, so I asked "Does that mean the baby's a boy or a girl?" and he replied, kind of sheepishly, "A girl?" So he may not understand yet, but I think he'll appreciate it later. Also, we found out we were getting the puppy the day after we found out we were having a boy. When I told Jarrett we were getting a puppy, his reply was a very underwhelming "Oh." I think he's wondering what else is coming next?
I think it's good for Liesl to have a baby brother because she'd clobber a sweet little girl. She'll be great at teaching her brother all about climbing and playing rough. I'm really surprised at how much she grasps about the baby. The only kid we told at the beginning was Danielle because she was concerned about Mommy being sick in bed so much. Eventually the news came to Jarrett and we never actually told Liesl. She just picked up on it on her own from conversations between the other kids and me. One day she came into my bedroom and pointedly asked "There's a baby in Mommy's tummy?" That totally caught me off guard because I figured she wouldn't have any idea about what a baby means until it actually came home. She's smart . . . too smart.
Danielle always thought the baby was going to be a boy because we had to follow an ABAB pattern. She still wanted a girl, but was happy that it's a boy. She's such a great big sister!
4 comments:
Jen! Congratulations! How wonderful! A new baby and a new puppy! I'm so excited for you all!
Yay for you! How exciting. Joshua wishes he had a little brother, but too bad for him! I hope the puppy is potty trained before the baby comes. hee hee hee! You are an awesome mom. I said no dog till the last kid is potty trained.
Congrats! We're very excited for you. We love our boys over here and can't wait for you to get another. Hope the pregnancy goes well. Also very excited about the dog...all my boys really want one.
Your kids are the luckiest kids in the whole world--a baby and a puppy in the same year!! What more could they want? :) Wishing you the best in the months to come. We are very excited for you! Glad to have some company in the ABAB pattern dept... (even if we're opposites)
Post a Comment