Friday, October 17, 2008

My life

A week ago Jarrett, Liesl and I dropped Robert off at LAX, picked-up Danielle from school, then we all drove to Aunt Rachie's. We had a fun night getting comfortable in her house and seeing Grandma with the Brown Hair (who couldn't stay away from a chance to see all her grandbabies at the same time). After I got everyone to bed, I slept for a few hours, and then I escaped. For the first time since Danielle's birth, I left for a vacation WITHOUT children.

I got on a plane and met Robert in Tampa Bay. He was there for a convention, so I didn't get to spend much time with him, but I spent a lot of time being still. I did a lot of sleeping and reading, ate a few nice, quiet dinners, and had a few quiet walks. Did I mention it was quiet?

While I've been planning this trip, I have been so looking forward to being able to enjoy my life and not have to worry about anything but what I wanted to do. It was definitely nice to spend some time alone with Robert. But it turns out that just taking care of myself isn't as great as I thought it would be. Relaxing? Definitely. But fun? Not so much. After a little thinking, I decided that I don't mind that the kids are my life right now. Yes, I know that I still need to take care of myself so I can take care of others, but there's nothing else I'd rather do than be a mom.

I know this epiphany will disappear quickly as I get back into everyday life, and I'm sure I'll have to get away again to remember this in the future. But for now, the one thing I know for sure is that I'm supposed to be doing what I'm doing.

By the way, BIG THANKS to Aunt Rachie, Uncle Eric (next time we'll bring ear plugs), Logan, GWTBH, Aunt Beth, and Ryan. Let me know if I can ever return the favor!

1 comment:

Cyn said...

I'm so glad you guys got to go and enjoy and all was well with the kiddos while you were gone. Loves!