Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Big Move

All I can say is it happened, and I never want to do it again (although it's inevitable!)

I guess I could elaborate. This was our first time moving since having kids and we have accumulated too much stuff. Robert had a difficult time fitting all of it in the cavernous U-Haul:
We were so sure we had enough space, but ended up leaving some stuff behind for Tim to either use or toss for us (sorry!) I also think we picked one of the hottest weeks of the summer to move. And I learned that when you think you're almost done, you're not even close.

I know we were blessed, though. As difficult as it was, there weren't any major problems. We have wonderful friends and family that helped through the entire process. All of our stuff fit into the storage unit. And most importantly, the kids were really good through all the upheaval:
They've also adjusted their new home fairly well (knock on wood). I think it helps that we get to be at Grandma's and Grandpa's and they have all of their stuff here with them.

We'll miss our home in Downey. It has been the setting for so many firsts for our family. Each of our babies was brought home to this house. Robert finally graduated from school while we lived here. First steps, first words, first days of school . . . It was so hard to leave. I cried a few times as we were closing up (probably also from relief and exhaustion), and my eyes are welling up now. We were blessed in that house, but I have faith we'll be blessed in our new home, too.

2 comments:

Cyn said...

As soon as I saw the first picture, my stomach turned and the tears came. We sure miss you (even though we weren't very close in distance) and hope that you're settling to your new adventure and home. Wish we could have been there to help you. You did an amazing job at something I hope I never have to do! Think of all the stuff after more than 20 years! Yikes! Hope all is well. Sure love you all!

Jen said...

I'm glad your move went smoothly. I was soooo bummed that i missed seeing you guys by one day. good luck in your nes home